There are two type of disk in Windows computer: Basic Disk and Dynamic Disk. The basic disk format supposed to be called default disk format. They contain partition like Primary partition and extended partition. Basic disk supports both MBR and GPT partition. but Basic disk can’t be use for RAID volume.
Additional feature’s, that only be available on Dynamic disks:
- Create and delete simple, spanned, striped volume.
- Extend a simple or spanned volume.
- Remove a mirror from a mirrored volume
- Break the mirrored volume into two volumes.
- Reactivate a missing or offline disk.
Convert a Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk
I strongly recommended to always backup first before you carry out disk conversion task
- Press Win+R to open Run and Type diskmgmt.msc in it to be open Disk Management, Click Ok.
- In the Disk Management window, right click on the disk you want to convert to dynamic and select Convert to Dynamic Disk.
- The process will start, and the Disk will be converted to a Dynamic disk.
Using command line
- Open an elevated command prompt
- On command prompt window, just type diskpart and hit Enter.
- Next, type list disk. Make a note of the disk number of the disk you want to convert to Dynamic.
- Now type select diskn (n means disk number) and press Enter.
- Next type convert dynamic and hit Enter.
I hope you like this page helpful.